Do you want to generate leads for the business that you are working in? Do you want to reach out to people? Cold emailing is the just made for corporate bird like you. Cold emailing is an unsolicited email that is sent to the receiver or the target audience as set up the sender. Cold emailing is often communicated as spam mails. But the receiver or the potential customer or the targeted audience has no relationship with the sender. If there is a relationship between the sender and the receiver, then it might not be considered as a part of cold emailing process.
Clearly, cold emailing is done to get the reviews on a product or get the leads from the audience or for selling a product. It can be an effective technique or a proper fail at work if not used wisely. Excess of cold emailing can be disturbing to the receiver, less of cold emails can also be ignored. There are special marketers that need to hired for managing cold emailing process. Following are some of the tips that need to be followed by marketer for cold emailing:
- Cold emails need to be attractive yet decent: there are a lot of emails that a person receives but they only read a few. It is advisable to keep the outlook of the email or the subject of the email attractive so that it attracts the attention of the reader. Seeking attention can be an uphill task for the sender. But once you grab the total attention of the receiver, you are towards the positive gains.
- Formal in writing: usually emails written in an informal manner can be ignored. Writing in a decent, respectful, formal manner can get the response from the receiver. No one likes to talk informally at the very first place. Thus heading towards the formal piece of writing is the next thing to do after grabbing attention.
- Mention the designation: it is highly recommended to mention the designation of the sender. It will boost up the level of response. It is the human mindset if I am getting an email from the designated person of a company, I would take no time but to respond the email as early as possible.
- Crisp form of writing: making it to the point as in what all things the sender wants receiver to respond to. Making the writing short and crisp so that the reader gets the sour of the email in no time.
- Customization in writing: every reader would love to read with more attention if the text prescribed is personalized just for the reader. It increases the clear chances of response through email. As the marketer is always aware about the receiver, he/she can easily sum up a piece of writing just for the receiver.
- Re-read before sending: since there is no scope of elaborating the text, which might not be understood by the reader. Thus it is advisable to re-read the text or let someone to read and tell what is being perceived by them. If they perceive it correctly then choose another person and repeat the task. If the first person is unable to perceive correctly then recheck the text and scale down it to be readable by many.
- Avoid using technical jargons: usually the receiver of cold email is the lay man and he might not be familiar with the technical jargons that are used on daily basis. Thus using the simple words can help the reader reply. As with jargons he might not be able to read and reply even if he wants to.
Above are the points that need to be kept in mind before writing piece of email. Thus it gets harder to get the response in the first place. But if you get it once, you can know the type of response and accordingly improve the mail sent. There are few tips that should be avoidable:
- Avoid using templates: templates can make it easier for the marketer but templates are easily available online and it makes the receiver respond less. Using the templates that are used by other might waste your crucial time. Instead opt for personalized templates that are unique in nature.
- Avoid making sales at the first place: these days even if you receive a cold email and it directly tells you about the sale of the product, you would either ignore it or find it spineless for you. Thus starting a conversation, telling them about the benefits that you are going to offer. No one fix up the seal deal in just a single email.
- Try to avoid presenting them all in one go: sometimes serving everything in the first place can lead you spill food out of the plate. Thus serving a little with every interest shown up by them can help you retain the secrecy and the benefit for those who are interested.
- Avoid asking for personal information: it gets inadequate for receiver to share the personal information to an email which they might consider spam. It can also lead them to think sharing personal information might also be part of data breaching. Instead of making them conscious, it is advisable to make them trust on you for further responses.
There are various pointers that need to kept in mind while sending the emails:
- Business questions: asking them about their business or the field that they are interested in might hang them to you. Further providing them benefits about them being in relation with you can lead you gather them as your lead. Thus levelling down the questions and displaying a genuine interest but don’t go to flattering and buttery on the topic these tips can actually bring the ball to your court.
- Tweak the rules: there are some rules that need to followed for writing cold emails but these rules might end up getting the robotic feels. The receiver might consider that the mail is not personally written thus they might end up ignoring the same. Thus considering the rules but giving the personalized touch is a must.
- Conducting a split test: split test refers to preparing two sets of cold email and testing which one gets the better response. It is usually done on less count of the targeted audience. It is done in order to know the response. It is pre-setup on the marketers mind that this part of cold email will get the most response. But it can be the reverse case as well. Thus split test can actually work for the future response when done on larger targeted audience.
Moreover, we can agree to the fact that cold emailing is the most widely used marketing technique. It helps a business connect with the audience. But it is advisable to seal the targeted audience once knowing their interest area. It would be a vague idea and a flop show if the audience is disinterested. It would clearly be waste of time and other human resources. Thus keeping all the pointers mentioned above can bring the response quick but waiting time can differentiate in different kind of responses. The marketer need to take full charge be it from sending cold emails or personalizing the material to be sent or waiting for the response. A proficient marketer can actually help the business sink, swim or win at the same time.